If you're used to living an active lifestyle, you know how difficult it can be to make time for exercise when you travel. Whether you're away for business or pleasure, the stray from your normal routine makes it easy to skip out on your daily workout and forget your healthy eating habits. However, some hotels offer awesome amenities to active travelers to help them stay in shape while they are away from home. Here are 5 must-have hotel amenities to look for as you book your next trip.
1. Lending of shoes and clothing. One of the biggest reasons people typically don't work out while they travel is because they don't want to take up valuable luggage real estate with workout shoes and clothes. If you find that you often lack room for active wear, look for a hotel chain that lends these items. Westin and New Balance have partnered for this very purpose, and many active travelers are taking advantage of this service so they can travel a little lighter.
2. Healthy room service and dining options. When you're eating out for every meal, it's difficult to keep calories in check. Most hotels offer a wide variety of decadent foods that are full of fat, sugar, and salt. However, some hotels are starting to offer healthier meal options for both room service and restaurants. Look for these hotels when you book, and request that a healthy menu be provided in your room. If you have any special diet restrictions or preferences (vegetarian, vegan, reduced-salt, etc.), be sure to let them know so they can accommodate you.
3. Professional gym access. Most hotels boast an on-site gym, but these facilities usually leave something to be desired. The rooms are often quite small, and you probably won't find more than a couple of treadmills and some dumbbells. Instead, look for a hotel that offers complimentary access to a nearby professional gym with a shuttle service. You'll be a lot more likely to work out on your trip if you can have all the gym features you're accustomed to at home.
4. Complimentary bike rentals. What better way to get your daily exercise than biking around a new city? Many hotels offer a free bike rental service, allowing you to see the sights up close while still maintaining an active lifestyle. If you find a hotel with this amenity, be sure to get your bike early—supply is usually very limited. Also, don't forget to wear your helmet and follow all the rules of the road. Biking in an unfamiliar city is fun, but it can also be very dangerous if you're not careful.
5. Fitness classes and personal training. Some of the high-end hotels and resorts offer fitness classes and personal training sessions as part of the spa experience. Classes are often free, but may sometimes have a small fee attached. Personal training sessions usually have a small fee. If you can afford the higher price tag, book your stay at one of these hotels and take advantage of these classes. You can enjoy morning yoga on the beach, a kayaking lesson on the ocean, or a Zumba class in the fitness center. This is a great way to change up your normal workout routine when you are away from home. Who knows? You may find a new fitness passion!
Traveling doesn't have to interfere with your active lifestyle if you stay in the right hotels. As you book trips, be sure to find the hotels that offer shoe/clothing lending, healthy food options, gym access, bike rental, and fitness classes. These amenities will ensure that you stay on top of your fitness game while you're away from home.